Monday, February 2, 2009

My New Love Affair With the Concept 2 ERG

For a little over a month, I have been ERGing...indoor rowing (see the previous blog to see the device).

It has been great to feel my body getting stronger and to watch the quantifiable evidence of that. For instance, during the first week, while I was just getting started, in fact during my first row, I was able to complete 1500m at a pace of 3:21 per 500.

Today, I completed 6000m at a pace of 2:15 per 500. That is four times further, with each 1500 occurring more than 3 minutes faster than I was able to do on day one! This is also a big difference because on the ERG there is a cube effect that means that to improve by 10%, you need to increase your output by 30%. Wow!

I am on the ERG Monday through Friday, and I am trying to complete over 30,000m per week.

I am doing:
  • 6000m on Monday and Thursday
  • 2x 2000 m on Tuesday
  • 500 m on Wednesday with a 2000m cool down
  • 10,000 m on Friday
With the warm up I do, I should be able to make my goal each week. Of course, I am complimenting the ERG with a kettlebell routine that really makes me tired and strengthens my legs and shoulders further.

The best news is that I am sleeping great, eating better, feeling fitter and losing weight! Perfect.

Just thought I would share!

Neil