Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My torn Mensicus Two and a Half Weeks Out


So I am a little over two weeks out now, and these past couple of days, my knee seems to have made a sudden improvement with an increase in ROM and reduced swelling. I still can't kneel on the knee, but each day it is getting easier to do ordinary things.

I plan to start rowing again next week since my range is essentially sufficient enough to do that, and because it is an unloaded activity.

The tear I had in the Medial meniscus was more like the radial tear shown in the Lateral Meniscus above. The surgery involved trimming it out and smoothing the remaining meniscus.

Because there was no blood supply or bleeding inside the knee in general, the recovery is fairly quick and there is little opportunity to scar. I do feel the impact of the scar tissue and the fact that the scar tissue is contracting where the arthroscopic tools penetrated the knee during surgery though, especially the scar in my distal Quadriceps muscle - but again, not a big scar and almost a non issue day to day now.