Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My torn Medial Meniscus

So I was in training for life, and engaging in a drill where I did various plyometric drills down the track and sprinted back up the track at about 80%.

I did this after a long warm up - a 3 mile jog to the track.

On my 6th repetition, during the plyometric portion of the drill, I was skipping using big arms and gaining a lot of air each skip. After about 30 meters I felt my left knee complain a bit... not too much, but complain nevertheless.

I walked it off and sprinted back making a mental note that I was tired and still had a 3 mile jog ahead of me, so I put it all out there during my last sprint.

25 meters in, my knee went "crunch" and I pulled up with a gimpy left knee. I could not easily bear weight and at first I could not tell what I had done. It felt like my medial meniscus was damaged.

After a few minutes of standing there rubbing my knee, the pain along the medial joint line set in and I limped off home.

On Sunday I had an MRI confirming my suspicions, and tomorrow I go see the surgeon! Ouch. More to follow.